Peppermint, as the name indicates belongs to the mint family and has a strongly aromatic and sweetish odour. Having a sweetish aftertaste effect, it is widely used in many culinary dishes and as a flavouring agent in the manufacture of candies, salads, desserts, ice creams, and many other foods. Peppermint is also widely used in the manufacture of mouthwashes, toothpaste, and chewing gums. The essential oils derived from peppermint are used in aromatherapy as well.
Here are some of the best peppermint powder benefits, backed by science.
Top Peppermint Powder Benefits
- Promotes Digestion: One of the main peppermint powder benefits is that it helps in getting relief from gas, bloating, and indigestion. Due to its choleretic and bitter properties, it stimulates the secretion of enzymes that promote digestion. The active components in peppermint enhance pancreatic secretion and stimulate the bile flow and solubility of bile.
- Relives Headaches: Peppermint has pain-relieving properties and is a muscle relaxant that gives relief from certain kinds of headaches. Peppermint oil enhances blood flow and gives a cooling sensation when applied. Applying peppermint oil on the forehead gives relaxation from headaches and soothing aftereffects.
- Freshens Breath: Peppermint has found its place in the oral hygiene industry. It is often used as a flavoring agent in the manufacture of mouthwashes, chewing gums, and toothpaste as it has a pleasing smell and has antibacterial properties. It also helps prevent dental plaque.
- Lessens Menstrual Cramps: As peppermint is a muscle relaxant it can be beneficial in aiding menstrual cramps to some extent. Peppermint extract capsules are available in the market and apart from being free from steroids and serve as anti-inflammatory drugs and help in lessening menstrual cramps.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Consuming peppermint oil capsules helps in curbing the appetite and frequent hunger pranks leading to munching of unhealthy snacks. Thereby it healthily promotes weight loss.
- Infections: One of the top peppermint powder benefits is that it is rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties, ideal for treating symptoms like cold, flu, and promoting respiratory health. Again, it is good for our gut health and peppermint extracts may help combat food-borne bacteria like Salmonella, E. Coli, and listeria.
- Relieves from skin itching: Peppermint oil has soothing effects and helps in calming the itchiness caused in the skin. But do not forget to dilute the oil before application.
The Final Words
Apart from the food and beverage industry where you find energy drinks enriched with peppermint, it is also widely used for its health benefits. It has found its usage in the manufacture of ointments and even it has reached the niche of cosmetic industries as well. It is used in the formation of face washes, face packs, serums. It is also used in aromatherapy for the uplifting of mood and soothing headaches.
The above statements are not intended to cure any disease or comply with any health benefits. This is solely for information purposes. Please consult your doctor/health practitioner before consumption of the product. Although we take efforts to keep our website informative, we do not guarantee any medical benefits.