Sweet potatoes grow well in tropical regions, having warm and frigid climates. It can also grow in your garden and is less susceptible to pests and diseases. Sweet potatoes are often mistaken as a potato, while the fact is contradictory. They do not belong to the family of tubers as potatoes, but are roots!
If you are intrigued to know more about sweet potatoes, their usage, and their health benefits, read on this detailed discussion.
Usage of Sweet Potato powder
- Baking Industry: Organic sweet potato powder is gluten-free and used in the baking industry as a substitute for wheat or all-purpose flour. It is an ultimate substitute for gluten that helps in binding the cake. People suffering from Celiac diseases are advised not to consume a gluten-rich diet as it further aggravates the symptoms. Celiac disease is aggravated due to the consumption of gluten. Hence, using organic sweet potato powder in the bakery industry for the manufacture of cakes, muffins, and bread will cater to the needs of people having celiac disease.
- Cosmetic Industry: Sweet potato powder has also found its usage in the cosmetic industry for the manufacture of facewashes, toners, hair masks, under-eye baggage. Sweet potatoes have a good content of beta carotene, an antioxidant that converts into Vitamin A in the human body when consumed.
Sweet Potato Benefits
- Full in Fibre: Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber, and consuming sweet potatoes as snacks will help you reduce frequent hunger pangs that lead to munching on unhealthy snacks. Sweet potatoes also keep you satiated for a longer time without adversely affecting your appetite.
- Ideal source of vitamin A: One of the top sweet potato benefits is that it contains a good amount of Beta Carotene which gets converted to vitamin A once ingested.
- Potassium: It contains a good amount of Potassium; hence consuming sweet potato powder will supplement the Potassium requirement of the body.
- Good source of Choline: Sweet potato powder also contains a good amount of micronutrient choline and helps meet the Choline requirement in our body.
- Antioxidant: One of the top sweet potato benefits is that it is a rich source of antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body. Excess of free radicals in the body leads to oxidative damage and increased stress levels.
It is advised not to store sweet potatoes in the refrigerator unless you have cooked them. Do not wash the sweet potatoes unless you have planned to cook them. In the case of organic sweet potato powder, keep it in a cool and dry place away from moisture.
The Final Words
Sweet potatoes are increasingly used in the food industry, apart from just serving as an ideal morning breakfast. It is used in manufacturing bread, donuts, and cakes for people preferring gluten-free bakery items. Cosmetic industries are also widely using sweet potato powder and its extracts. It is also used as an essential supplement, owing to the numerous sweet potato benefits.
The above statements are not intended to cure any disease or comply with any health benefits. This is solely for information purposes. Please consult your doctor/health practitioner before consumption of the product. Although we take efforts to keep our website informative, we do not guarantee any medical benefits.